Chris Ford Star Chefs Competition Round 2 Plated Dessert
9 egg whites
180g Japanese cake flour
175g fig puree
1 vanilla bean
- Using an electric mixer make a stiff meringue with egg whites and sugar. Add egg yolks and mix until pale and fluffy.
- Using a rubber spatula, slowly fold half of the sifted cake flour in, do this in two parts, incorporating fully each time.
- Combine melted butter, vanilla and fig puree and pour in the egg mixture.
- Fold very fast and delicately to achieve a soft fluffy batter.
- Bake at 325f for roughly 25 minutes, until the cake springs bake and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool to room temperature.
Les Freres Panna Cotta
1340g heavy cream
100g granulated sugar
160g high quality honey
4 4/5 silver gelatin
1 teaspoon vanilla paste
40g les freres cheese
- Combine cream, honey, sugar, vanilla paste and cheese in sauce pot.
- Bring to a simmer, making sure to melt the cheese fully.
- Add bloomed gelatin and strain.
- Chill over ice bath until cold temperature has been reached.
- Chill and set in low-boy fridge.
Bittersweet Chocolate Sorbet
250g simple syrup
25g cocoa powder
50g 72% chocolate
- Combine syrup, water and powder in medium sauce pot.
- Bring to a boil and add chocolate and stir until fully combined.
- Strain and chill, freeze in ice cream machine/pacojet.
Moscavado Jelly Sheet
110g moscavado light brown sugar
2 sheets silver gelatin
2 teaspoons agar agar
- Combine everything but gelatin in small sauce pot and bring to a rolling boil for 50 seconds.
- Add bloomed gelatin.
- Strain and cool for about 5 minutes, while stirring.
- Pour evenly onto half sheet pan lined with a silpat, very thin layer.
- Chill and cut abstract shapes for the plate.
50g fig puree
2g xantham gum
- Combine all ingredients in a quart container.
- Using a immersion blender, blend ingredients for 1 minute.
- Transfer mixture to Kitchenaid and whip until stiff meringue like peaks have formed.
- Keep cold.
500g simple syrup
- Bring to all ingredients to rolling boil for 10 minutes.
- Strain, spread evenly on parchment lined half sheet pan and bake at 325f until pecans are shiny and toasted.
- Cool and keep in air tight container.
Download a printable pdf